Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My idiocy knows no bounds

I took Sunday off and returned to spin (Weighted Intervals) on Monday.  I was the second to last person to class.  There were only two bikes left, both in front.  A random one and the dreaded #4.

It may be true, it may be urban legend, but according to the patrons at GoCycle, #4 is the bike from hell.  I don't think I have ever ridden it, but people say that the resistance is way off, so that a measly 9 feels like 18.  It's always the last to go.

While I lucked out and ended up with a great bike (read, easy), I was not so luck with the weights.  I had a choice, 3 lbs or 10.  fantastic.

I chose the 10 and ended up being ok for most of the class. Curls, shoulder press and tricepts were good.  The row, not so much.  Oh well.  All and all, great workout.

Tuesday morning I went to my usual GoBarbell class.  My tricepts were killing me from the night before and my legs were not great either.  It was still so much fun- mostly because we were outside.  For some reason, I find that lifting weights at 5:15 in the morning while on wet pavement is the coolest. You know you are hardcore when one of the instructions from Lisa is "make sure your eldows touch the wet pavement". Badass, huh?

My feelings of athletic superiority quickly faded when we began the triceps push ups. Lisa stopped the class and pointed out how phenomenally pathetic me and my triceps were. OK, this isn't exactly what she said, but it's what I heard.  Tricept pushups are my Kryptonite.  I'm sure chin ups would be too, but I don't plan on ever trying such a stupid move.

I usually do speed workouts on Tuesdays, but I branched out.  I joined the Royal Oak Area Runners for a 5 mile run.  ROAR is a local group and they seem to meet up several times a week.  I think they have group runs Tuesdays, Thursdays. Saturdays and even do a trail run outing on the first Sunday of the month.

I have not run with a group in years and years.  I have mixed feelings.  When I am alone, no one is faster than me and I can pretend I am beyond awesome.  But, when I am alone, no one is faster than me so I don't challenge myself.  I was very intimidated about joining a group.  I had a lot of fears, including:
1) What if they are all way faster than me?
2) What if they are all slower than me?
3) What if they are weird?
4) What if they are super cool and think I am weird?
5) What if there really is no group, but just one insane person who wants to kidnap me and use my skin to make a dress ("It rubs the lotion on it's skin.....)

Turns out, none of the above applied...Well, maybe #4, but I can't be sure.  Turns out some were faster, some were slower and all were very nice.  They seem to have known each other awhile and there was a bit of good natured teasing and general joviality. I ran faster than usual thanks to a guy that ran a mile or two father than he had planned (it was his recovery day) to keep me company.

He had lost a bit of weight through fitness as well, so we had a really great talk about what it's like, what it takes, the support systems you need back at home and our lives before and after the weight loss.  I loved this conversation and hope to run with him again. In fact, I plan to make this my usual Tuesday run.  The group aspect had me running much faster than usual, though I think I am reevaluating my goal time for the Oak Apple- under an hour might be more appropriate.

I'm sure you are wondering were my idiocy comes in.  Well, I was all kinds of idiot this week- from cancelling the wrong GoBarbell class, over flowing the coffee maker three times, losing the dog (quickly recovered), missing a court date for a speeding ticket (all was worked out, don't worry) and on and on.  While technically missing the court date was the worst, since it was fixed with a simple phone call, the award for stupidest thing I did goes to what happened on last night's run.

I drove to the meet up location, parked my car, put money in the meter and locked my stuff in the trunk.  All I had was myself and the car key.  The new car key to the brand new car.

Turns out, I did not realize that my shorts didn't have a pocket, so I was forced to tie the key to my shoe.  About a mile or so in, a stick got caught in my shoe and I shook it off.  It felt funny and I actually wondered if I lost my key.  I was running pretty quick and someone was right behind me, so I didn't want to stop.  I looked down and saw both shoes were tied and kept on going.

4 miles later we were back.  I looked dawn and although both shoes were still tied- no key. How the heck did that happen? Now I have to decide what to do.  I can ask someone to use their cell and call my husband, I can ask to use the phone in the library or I can back track.  At this point I am pretty sure I know where the key is and that spot is on my route home, so I decide to go look for it on my own.  Understandably, I really didn't want to admit to anyone-including my husband- that I am unable to properly attach a key to a shoe.

I head out and realize that I'm not exactly sure what our route was.  I can picture the house where I lost the key, but I don't remember what street it was.  I end up making it all the way home without finding it.  I am tired, hungry and very, very sore.  I filled my husband in and since the kids were in the tub, decided I better take the van out and look some more.  I quickly realized where I had made my wrong turn earlier, found the  correct block and within a minute, found the key.

I jumped up and down for a minute, looked around to see if there were gawkers (no) and returned home as the kids were getting out of the tub. I examined the key, sure that it must have some sort of flaw that caused it to come loose from a tied shoe lace.  No such luck.  I cannot fathom how I did it, but I must have failed to loop the pace through the key.  Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Since I did not take any pictures, I'll just post these...









No comments:

Post a Comment