Friday, May 11, 2012

All About Reading

I love to read.  I've always been a book worm. From Madeline to Superfudge to A Wrinkle in Time to Anne of Green Gables to Ann Rice.  I cannot remember a time when I was not part way through a book.

Over the years, my taste in books has solidified.  While I have enjoyed books like Running with Scissors and The Lovely Bones, I prefer reading about things a bit less realistic.  I think this is because of my day job.  I've been practicing criminal law for about 13 years. I spend my days seeing loss, poverty, injustice and sadness- and there is never really a happy ending.  I just don't want to spend my free time thinking about anything so real. 


There are some genres that I come back to again and again and I especially like when they overlap.  In general, I want some sort of mystery or adventure.  I'm thrilled if there is a historical element, or some sort of fantasy/magic/sci-fy stuff going on.  I also like there to be some romance, but not too much.  Kind of a tall order, huh?  Turns out there is a lot out there that has two or three of these elements.

I'm also a series kind of person, though I think most people are.  I've read most everything from Harry Potter to The Hunger Games.  Which leads me to today's post.

Last night I finished book 3 of the Hunger Games, Mockingjay.  I loved all three books and began to think about what I would read.  I was checking out my favorite blogs and I saw this on Peanut Butter Fingers "If You Liked the Hunger Games".  Well, as a matter of fact....I did. Talk about perfect timing.  It turns out, Julie had a guest blogger, Lisa of Read. Breath. Relax. posting yesterday.

I had never been to Eat. Breath. Relax. before, but it's right up my ally.  Lisa blogs about and reviews sci-fy/young adult books, which I surely love. As PBF's guest, she recommends a number of books that have come out this year. I've already added some to my Goodreads list and bought a couple on Audible (Including the one pictured below). Be sure to check out the guest spot and Lisa's blog if you are fan of YA/Sci Fy/Fantasy.



To be honest, I'm not in immediate need of a new book.  I always have an Outlander available on Audible.  If you have not heard of the Outlander series, I apologize.  It could take over the rest of your life.

The series is by Diana Gabeldon.  I'm only in the third book, but since each book is long, I often take breaks.  When I say they are long, I mean it.  I read the first one on Kindle, but after that it's Audible only.  How long are they you ask? Well, the one I'm "reading" now is 44 hours and 46 minutes!



The Outlander series has just about everything going for it.  It could be classified as historical fiction, fantasy, adventure, mystery and romance. In a small, small nutshell, it's about a woman who unintentionally travels through time to the 1700's and falls in love with the most delicious man. Currently, there are seven Outlander books, with another in progress.

I do love this series and recommend it to most everyone, but I have a hard time explaining what is so great.  Besides the fact that these books are an amazing value (44 hours for one Audible credit, awesome.), they are just plain enjoyable.

While researching for this post, I found that there is a whole "Outlander" community.  People who love the series so much they write blogs about it or join online communities.  Some are odd, but some are pretty cool.   I especially like My OUTLANDER Purgatory and my favorite is Outlander Kitchen, which is described as  "Historical and Character-Inspired Food from the fictional world of Diana Gabaldon"

My plan is to finish Drums of Autumn.  I only have 14 hours left. From there, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I've already downloaded Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters and The End of An Affair, by Graham Greene.  The End of an Affair is not my usual type of story, but it's read my Colin Firth, so I had to get it. Mmmm... Colin Firth, that's a whole other post...or twenty.

What are you reading?
Have you read any of the books I've mentioned? What are your thoughts?
How do you read? Real paper, electronic or Audio? Why?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment